I was trying to think of the name of a thing in the CSS vernacular the other day. It made me think we should have some kind of reference right here on CSS-Tricks, as a site with CSS in the title probably ought to have! So, here’s the basics.
Breaking that down…
- The whole thing is a ruleset.
- The curly braces and everything inside is a declaration block.
- The bit before the opening curly brace is a selector.
- Each key/value pair, as separated by a colon and ending in a semicolon, is a declaration.
- In those key/value pairs, the key is a property (or property name), and the value is a value (or property value).
Marco Biedermann once created this diagram out of HTML and CSS itself, which I think is exceedingly clever:
This Content is Generated from RSS Feeds, if your content is featured and you would like to be removed, please Contact Us With your website address and name of site you wish to be removed from.
You can control what content is distributed in your RSS Feed by using your Website Editor.